Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Cutting chai

As I zoom past with my husband on our bike, I notice splendid buildings, standing gracefully tall, showing the majestic setting sun a glimpse of its own beauty. Glass walls shimmering, adorning the horizon with ornamental diamond-like lights.

I wonder, at times, how would it feel to be on the other side, inside the posh glass frames, dining under glittering chandeliers, sipping sparkling water from the finest of crystal glasses and having the most fancy dishes laid out on antique tables. How would it feel to hear the metal fork tink against the expensive plates...How it would feel, attending meetings with the affluent, the well-versed, the well-spoken, the sophisticated. How it would feel carrying the most advanced technology in branded leather purses and handbags. How it would feel to breathe in the scented air of Calvin Klein and the like. How it would feel to step out of cars that make other people’s faces turn green.

Would I stare at the waiter struggling with his tray, juggling between expensive utensils, yet taking the risk to receive a phone call from a close one, reminding me, that I haven’t called up home in a while now. Will I notice a group of 20-somethings breaking into peals of uncontrollable giggles, wiping tears of bliss from the corners of their eyes and miss my time with friends? Will I sit in meetings, unable to concentrate, reeling under the guilt of screwing up yet another movie plan with friends? Would I struggle having formal conversations, missing the bindass ‘tu, tera, tereko’ that I am so used to? Will handshakes be alien to me, for whom high-fives and hugs work? Would I stand near the glass frame, looking at carefree couples zooming past me on their bikes, staring at the glass frame with awestruck eyes? Would I want to break free?

Yes, I would. I don’t want to be on the other side, inside the glass frames, dining under chandeliers. I’m more than happy going to a roadside dhaba and licking off bits of gravy sticking to the serving dish, wiping my runny nose with a tissue paper and making an ‘O’ bringing my index finger and thumb together to indicate the yummi-ness quotient. I’m happier watching flops with my friends than attending premiers, sitting with big guns and exhibiting plastic on my face. I would be happy to get back home to my parents every few months and feel the excitement than having flight tickets got done whenever I want - it kills the anticipation. I want to be free to talk to ammai-appa, after every meal I have, after every little significant thing I do. I want to giggle, live, unrestrained. Living inside glass frames isn’t my cup of tea...my cup of tea is the one that brews on the streets, in my house..

I need no posh car, protecting me from the dust and heat...all I want is a bike ride with my husband, when the skies go crimson, and like birds returning home as soon as dusk sets in, I want to return to my nest too...

18 comments:

  1. Visuals visuals visuals... how to create them using words, is something you should teach :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton. Talking about words, can't wait to read the magic you can weave with them...update your blog! :)

      Delete
  2. Beautifully described...your narration is amazing Ma'am :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Sudha. Glad you enjoyed reading! :)

      Delete
  3. A really nice read. Good stuff, becoming a fan of your blogs. Can relate to them. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Shashank, that's great news for me! Thanks a lot...encouragement in the form of comments is encouraging indeed! :)

      Delete
  4. Paro..... you are awesome with your words. One can visualise the whole narration. Loved it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sudeshna..thanks a lot dear. You always take time to read and comment...thanks for your generous words! :)

      Delete
  5. Awesome .!! Read this kinda stuff after a long gap. Likhte raho...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vidya, thanks for reading and commenting...will keep writing, for sure, at least to get to read your wonderful comments! Thanks again! :)

      Delete
  6. Life in Mumbai is like that. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been there, done that! Thanks for reading! Cheers! :)

      Delete
  7. Makes for a good read...:)
    Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I ride a bike, I keep my eyes on the road. We guys, don't have the privilege to have such awesome experiences. :(

    I have such moments on my long train journeys. On flights, you can't event see the birds outside your window. Flying through cities, villages, open fields ... As though, it's a journey of your life. :)

    Flights are so so boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True that!! :) I was expecting your comment, and you did make me happy! Thanks for reading! And yes, I agree, flights are boring, especially if you don't have a window seat and the person sitting on the other side has to attend nature's call every now and then! :P

      Delete